Books, Memories, and Essays . . .

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Where's that Future We Heard So Much About?

Well, here it is 2011, and I have to say I'm a little disappointed already. I mean, the second decade of the 21st century, and not a single colony on the moon and no mission to Mars. Seriously, when we were kids imagining the future, this future, it was nothing like this. Okay, so we've got iPhones and Apple TV (which by the way are just dandy), and all those other things brought to us by the interweb. But when I look at Arthur Clarke's 2001: a Space Odyssey, I'm embarrassed for us. Man, we're falling further and further behind.

And, it's not just that, we're going the wrong way. Remember the Concord? Now there was an airplane of the future, right? So now it's in museums and we're flying around in air buses. Well, some of us are. I don't even think about flying anymore. It's worse than taking the bus and costs a heck of a lot more. Give me one of those hover cars we're supposed to have by now and I'm happy. Remember Back to the Future? Well that's my mantra for 2011. Where's that old American faith in progress?

Oh, yeah, progress takes money, and we spent ours on a bunch of wars and weapons of mass destruction, most of which we'll never use, I hope. Or we might end up with one of those post apocalypse futures. Come to think of it, maybe Soylent Green is the movie I should have been watching. That may be a little closer to our coming reality.

Okay, that's enough for now. Maybe I should just sit back and enjoy the future I've got while I still have one. You know what the Rolling Stones used to tell us, "you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need." Hey, I can go with that. Happy New Year, everybody.

2 comments:

jlshall said...

I was really hoping for domed cities by now. Climate-controlled, and sealed against invasion by our various opponents and enemies. But mainly sealed against invasion by cockroaches.

Melissa said...

Or invasion by Mountain Cedar. And what about those cute little futuristic space outfits we were supposed to be wearing by now -- you know, like The Jetsons!