We've already started what has become our principal holiday tradition. Yes, we put lights up on our terrace, a big evergreen wreath on the door to our utility room, and a small one on the door to our apartment, and we decorated our three and a half foot artificial tree with lights and tiny ornaments. But we really know that Christmas is coming when we begin our marathon viewing of Christmas movies.
This year we've already seen a few on TV, Charlie Brown and Rudolph, It's a Wonderful Life, and A Christmas Story. Thanks to Ted Turner we've been able to check off a couple of recent additions: The Shop Around the Corner and Love Finds Andy Hardy, which I've added because I adore Judy Garland as Betsy Booth. But we haven't yet found time for at least one version of A Christmas Carol and the original Miracle on 34th Street. Still to come are the animated Grinch, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and The Bishop's Wife, one of my favorites.
My long suffering wife complains that I'm not very particular about what counts as a Christmas movie. If there's a holiday theme or at least some specific references to the holidays, and I like the film, it's a candidate for annual viewing. Therefore, White Christmas and Holiday Inn are sometimes both included. But neither of us seems to be drawn to the more recent made for Christmas fare. A few years back I added The Fabulous Baker Boys, because of the prominent presence of Christmas and New Year's, but my wife has since crossed it off the list. Good movie, just not enough Christmas.
Probably our most unusual selection, but one we never fail to watch, usually last, but definitely not least, is Bill Forsyth's Comfort and Joy. Back in the 1980s, when I was teaching film courses, I discovered Forsyth and his amazing little masterpieces, Gregory's Girl and Local Hero. I suspect those two are his best known films, although I understand there's a cult following for That Sinking Feeling. All of Forsyth's movies are appealing and reward multiple viewings. And if you like the others you'll probably like Comfort and Joy, especially for Bill Paterson's deft portrayal of a jilted Glasgow radio personality caught up in a conflict between Italian ice cream vendors. It's a holiday treat.
No comments:
Post a Comment