Books, Memories, and Essays . . .

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Two Years, But Who's Counting?

Yesterday was the second anniversary of this blog. I meant to post something, but that's not really a priority for me at this point. Most of my energy is now going into practicing my guitar. I got another really good book, The Christopher Parkening Guitar Method, Vol. 1. It's a good companion to the book by Frederick Noad. Parkening offers a little faster pace and more engaging practice lessons. But Noad has more drilling of fundamentals. Either one would be a good place to start, but together they offer variety.

Speaking of anniversaries. I was amazed by the number of media stories entitled "40 Years Ago Today." I got out my DVD of Sgt. Pepper's and listened to it closely. Forty years ago, the summer of 1967, I was an undergraduate, already married, living in Austin and enjoying the summer of love with my friends. We played that album all summer long. And I think every one of us knew that something significant was happening that summer. Now, 40 years later some of us are still trying to sort it out.

2 comments:

Nettie said...

Happy Anniversary! I remember Sgt. Pepper being the first album I ever bought. We were little kids in Austin then and my sister and i pooled our allowances to buy it. I recall that being an exciting time as well, altho probably we were too little to know how unusual this degree of change was.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Nettie. Strange to think that we were both living in Austin then, listening to Sgt. Pepper. To quote from another group of that era from a few years later, what a long strange trip it's been!