I've always thought Earth Day was a rather strange phenomenon. As far as I'm aware, only humans participate. But then humans have always had a rather proprietary attitude toward the planet (and just about everything else), which allows us to exploit its riches to our benefit, only later claiming concern for the planet-wide damage our species has done to the land, sea, and atmosphere. Then once a year we proclaim ourselves interested in saving the Earth, by which we apparently mean saving ourselves from ourselves.
Now, as I approach old age, I realize the stakes are rather lower for me than for those who will have to live longer with the effects of human stewardship of Planet Earth. And while I wish everyone well in their efforts to save the Earth, I rather doubt anything meaningful can be done to alter things at this stage. The damage is just too extensive, and the trends are all against us. Forget about climate change, that's already happening and is almost certainly irreversible. But what about the oceans? It's not only conceivable, but likely that they will one day soon be vast dead zones clogged with millions of tons of floating garbage, which we continue to dump at sea in alarming quantities. Any objective analysis would have to recognize that even if we became suddenly wise, there is little that can now be done to alter the mess we've made of things.
But essentially I'm an optimist where human survival is concerned. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I think humans are basically a disease, and like most diseases we are hard to kill and rather adaptable. We can live in harsh environments, and adapt our diets to just about anything that's remotely edible. Perhaps we'll discover something growing in the ocean's floating garbage islands that can be processed and fed to the next generation. So I expect what we'll do in the coming decades and centuries, if the past is any indication of the future, is adapt and carry on. I probably would not like the new world order, but then I won't be around to lament what's been lost. And those who come after will accept what is, because that's what we've always done. And what other choice will they have?
Of course, I don't have any children. I suppose that might account for my optimism. If I had to imagine the world my children and grandchildren will have to inhabit, I might be more concerned. I used to make lists of things that won't last into the future, but that's really impossible to know. And as I've mentioned, only the older generations would miss the past they remember. The younger ones will enjoy their own world probably as much as we've enjoyed ours. As for the Earth, it will still be here: changed no doubt, but change is inevitable. Change is the story of the Earth. Nothing lasts; everything changes. Life is change. It's neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so. I prefer to think everything is going to be all right. Happy Earth Day.
1 comment:
Well, I will say that having children and especially grandchildren makes you look at things differently. I do a few things to be more ecological. I have gone back to doing things a little more old school. I don't think for one minute that me making my own laundry detergent is going to make one bit of difference in the grand scheme of things. But.....I don't think the state of the planet is our biggest worry. I am not really worried about the planet. I am a lot more worried about the PEOPLE on the planet. There seems to be an awful lot of evil things going on these days that are much worse than using paper towels and driving cars. But....I am optimistic too -- it will all be alright.
Post a Comment