I wonder if there is some sort of digital game gene I missed out on? It's not that I've never played any games on my computer or phone. I've experimented with a few, briefly. Many years ago I stayed up most of the night at a keyboard with friends playing a very early version of dungeons and dragons over a primitive modem connection to a mainframe computer somewhere in Austin. We had to take notes and read printouts to keep track of our progress. There was no CRT! (My wife recalls we kept ending up in a dark cave with no weapons.) After that I lost interest, and never returned.
My experience was similar with Pacman and Space Invaders. I played a few times, got the idea, and that was that. I did waste many hours with Spider Solitaire, but that was a self-defensive mechanism, and since I retired, I no longer have an incentive to play. It's not that I oppose computer games, I just don't seem to be able to stay interested long enough to develop a serious addiction. Games are a good way to kill time, but now that I have practically total control of my time, I find I don't need to kill it. I just use it for things I'm more interested in doing.
No doubt I'm missing something, but I figure it's too late to worry about such things now. It reminds me of one of my gym buddies who keeps asking me if I've ever tried Guitar Hero. My response is always, but why would I when I can just play one of my guitars? Now, back to reading the Sunday Times.
No comments:
Post a Comment