Every once in a while I remember my blog and I think, I should write a post. So I open my "New Post" window and I start on some topic of momentary interest. Then after a few sentences or paragraphs I realize I'm no longer interested. I figure if I'm boring myself, what's the point. And so I just save the draft. I now have about a dozen saved drafts.
This, I think, is significant. My blog is dying. Or is it? Some time ago I installed Google Analytics to see if anyone was actually looking at my blog, and I know that somewhere between seventy and eighty viewers are showing up every month. I can tell that most of them get here by finding something on a search engine, after which they just as quickly disappear. I've noticed, however, that certain previous posts are very popular, attracting a steady flow of visitors. Since these visitors tend not to linger, I assume they've come most likely because of the titles. Here are my most popular posts: "What's Behind Me Is Not Important," "Liars Need a Good Memory," "I Miss the Clarity," "Some Mute Inglorious Milton," "The Poem of Force" and -- number one on my little hit parade -- "Machiavelli Saw It Coming."
Now why are people searching for such things, and is it a good or bad sign? I have no idea. But it is interesting, at least to me it is. Beyond that I have nothing further to report at this time. Retirement is good, and apparently I have better things to do at the moment than to come up with more posts for my poor little blog. Maybe later.
1 comment:
I like your blog and read it regularly -- don't stop.
Post a Comment