Books, Memories, and Essays . . .

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Shakespeare's Not for Everyone, . . . So?

I started to call this one, "Up with Betas!" I'm hearing a lot of chatter about that Frontline Digital Nation show, which I did not watch on TV, but have now watched online (ain't the Internet cool!). The program presents lots of stuff to worry about (or not). Flash: the world is changing. It will never be what it once was. There's a generation gap, and a digital divide. Kids these days, they don't understand what they're missing. They don't read Shakespeare. Hey, some of them don't read books at all.(Comic books and graphic novels don't count.)

But why is that a problem? I know it's probably just my own warped point of view, but I keep thinking about Huxley's Brave New World. (Probably another book nobody reads anymore.) You've got your Alphas, your Betas, and your Deltas, Gammas, and Epsilons. (That's the way it was at my high school, too.) The more advanced things get, the more we're going to need those happy Deltas, etc. If they don't want to read Shakespeare, that's fine. They'll catch the movie, or take some soma.

By the way, I went to Sparknotes, and I have to say, I'd rather read the book than wade through the dreck on that site. But I suppose that's not really fair. I've already read the actual books, so I know what's missing. In my time it was Cliff Notes. (Now, of course, they're online too.) Here you go kid, this is all you really need to know. By the way, check my own truncated classics here!

No comments: