I can hardly believe the year is coming to an end so quickly now. It seems only a few short weeks ago I was enjoying a perfect day at the beach. But already the holiday season is upon us. Thanksgiving has come and gone. Soon we'll be putting up the Christmas lights and worrying about getting those last minute gifts off in the mail.
The mood is hardly softened by one of the most depressing national election seasons in my memory. But I'm in denial about that as well. When the time comes, I'll choose from the least bad of the remaining choices and hope for some improvement, perhaps merely from change. But working in the belly of the beast over the last twenty some years has only confirmed the wisdom of the Who anthem, "Won't Get Fooled Again." They come and they go: the parting on the left is now the parting on the right, meet the new boss, same as the old boss. And so I hunker down and watch the passing scene and remember the verses to another old song: "same song, nth verse, could get better, but it's gonna get worse."
And yet in a few more weeks it will be a new year, my birthday, and another year of great promise and accomplishment. It's something to look forward to after the holidays are gone. And in the meantime I shall sit back, sip some Scotch, and enjoy the smell of all those chestnuts roasting on the open fires.
No comments:
Post a Comment