Books, Memories, and Essays . . .

Sunday, December 10, 2006

The End Is Coming, So's My Birthday

Another year is drawing to a close, and I wonder if this blog isn't as well. I see I haven't posted anything since my YouTube video back in mid November. This doesn't mean I haven't started posts. But every time I've begun something, I've lost interest before I could finish. And perhaps that's appropriate. I began this as an experiment to see what the blogging craze was all about. And now, whether I've learned anything or not, at the least I've discovered that, as I suspected to begin with, I'm not really a blogger. I still enjoy reading a few blogs, some regularly, but I never feel moved to join in the more interactive aspects of blogging. When someone actually comments on one of my posts, I'm always amazed, even though that's an important part of the blogging experience.

Not that I really mind endings. As those who know me will point out, I'm a great lover of last things. And so the end of the year is one of my favorite times, along with the turning of the seasons, and other markers and milestones along the pathways of life. In my own personal calendar, the end of the year also brings not just the beginning of the new year, but the start of a new year of my life, since my birthday comes the day after New Year's. This has always seemed to give me an extra holiday. First comes autumn and Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then winter and Christmas, followed by New Year's Day, and then my birthday. That's when the new year actually begins. I've also taken to giving myself an actual holiday, a day off from work. And so with the new calendar, I begin a new year of my life. It seems so natural and logical to me, that I wonder how those whose birthdays come in the middle of a year keep from getting confused.

Lately, I've taken to marking another milestone at this time of year. One of the ideal days for Federal workers to retire is January 3rd. It has to do with the way the pay periods of one year overlap with the start of the next calendar year. Those who get paid to figure these things out have made it a favorite day to leave government service. And so I'm now looking forward to a January 3rd a year or so hence when I'll start not just a new calendar year, a new year of my life, but a new life, or phase of my life. That will be my own personal trifecta: three holidays in a row, New Year's Day, birthday, retirement. Meanwhile, I'll just enjoy watching the seasons coming and going, the years ending and beginning.

No comments: