Books, Memories, and Essays . . .

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Good Night, and Good Luck

This isn't really about the movie, which is a good movie, I suppose, but not nearly as scary as the reality of today's passing scene. Another film that comes to mind is Groundhog Day, that one where Bill Murray wakes up every morning to relive the same day over and over. I wake up and I read the newspapers and it seems that we're repeating our own history, relearning all the hard won lessons of the past, but this time a good outcome doesn't seem so assured. Of course, nothing lasts forever, even the bad old days, like the good old days, come and go. I sometimes tell myself we've seen worse, but then I wonder, have we seen the worst?

I see that some optimists are trying to find another way out. Take a look at this. I can't even imagine what such a scenario would look like, but then give them some points for trying. Perhaps it really is darkest before the dawn. Wonder if that's what Cicero used to tell himself? Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was on the Turner Classic Movies network this evening. There's another old film worth rewatching. Talk about history repeating itself. Well, Good Night, and Good Luck!

No comments: