Books, Memories, and Essays . . .

Friday, April 07, 2006

Schaeffer Brown's Detective Fundamentals

Recently my good friend Jean lent me her personal copy (signed by the author) of a book, a mystery, written by one of our colleagues. I usually look forward to reading books by colleagues. I know the great amount of time and effort that has gone into them, and I enjoy seeing their ideas worked out in detail and with a consistency you don't get from casual conversations or even more extended discussions. But these are generally academic books on subjects like city planning or the history of urban poverty. But a mystery? That sounded dangerous. My guess is that not just anyone can write a successful mystery.

Imagine my amazement when the book turned out to be not just well written, but entertaining, witty, and a genuine delight to read. The book, by the way, is Schaeffer Brown's Detective Fundamentals by Candace Katz, and you can order it from Amazon for a mere $15.00. And don't be put off by the reader who describes it as a book "all women should read." I don't dispute that claim, but not being a woman myself I nevertheless found the book really took hold and kept me involved with the characters and the plot in the way that all really good mysteries should. And it turns out that Katz is the genuine article when it comes to creating interesting characters and an intriguing plot, with the requisite number of twists, turns, and surprises along the way. I recommend that those who enjoy a good mystery get to know Schaeffer Brown. I have a feeling there may be more to come. And I, for one, am certainly looking forward to her next case.

No comments: