I see that we're still awaiting the calamity that will befall the world economy if BlackBerrys suddenly turn into raisins. I guess I just don't get it. I can see the tech toy attraction of the things, but I can't believe the world economy depends on them or the folks who like to use them.
Maybe this is just another reflection of my own lack of sociability. I have a cell phone, but I don't give out the number, except to one or two friends, my wife, and a few other family members. I don't even answer my land line. I don't like talking on the phone. My answering machine suggests that callers leave a message, but promises no return call. Nor do I go in for text messaging or instant messaging. My favorite method of communication is email, which I enjoy because it's asynchronous, much like old fashioned letter writing.
It's not that I'm technophobic. I don't have an iPod or any other sort of MP3 player, because I don't care to listen to music on the run. But I've got a robust collection of computers, networked desktops and laptops, and audio and video recorders. I've got digital cameras, dedicated slide scanners, and some fairly sophisticated sound recording equipment. But these are all devices over which I can exert nearly absolute control. They are there when I want to use them, but they never intrude on my time or demand my immediate attention.
I answer my work phone when I'm at my desk, and always return calls in response to messages left on my voicemail. I respond promptly to email messages. It seems to me that I'm plugged in sufficiently. I don't want no BlackBerrys.
No comments:
Post a Comment